Competent Cells and Transformation
GoldBio offers an extensive collection of efficient chemically competent and electrocompetent cells with high transformation efficiencies to match your specific downstream applications: general cloning, protein expression, library construction, and many more.
- GoldBio's wide range of chemically competent and electrocompetent cells are optimized to provide lot-to-lot consistency and up to 10X higher transformation efficiency.
- Our enhanced recovery medium (SOC) formulation accompanies all of GoldBio's competent cells.
- We carry multiple Endonuclease I-deficient (endA1) competent bacterial cell strains to suit your cloning needs and ensure your transformations result in high quality and yield of plasmid DNA.
- Choose from E. coli strains with different selectable markers and screening options including the classic blue/white selection.
- GoldBio cells are ideal for distinct downstream applications from routine cloning/subcloning and protein expression to the more complex library construction, and cloning of difficult targets.
- Our electrocompetent Agrobacterium cells contain an efficient T-DNA binary system for genetic material transfer into the host plant cells.
- GoldBio's amber suppressor (SupE) and non-amber suppressor (MC1061F\’) strains are ideal for phage display library screening.
CHOOSE THE BEST COMPETENT CELLS FOR YOUR APPLICATION!
Our DH5-alpha, BL21, BL21(DE3), DH10B, DH10B-Pro, DL39(DE3), Agrobacterium, L. lactis, SS320 and TG1 Phage Display cells are available in multiple formats to provide you with flexibility when planning your experiments. GoldBio also provides easy-to-follow protocols, FAQs, protocol videos and selection guides to ensure success of your transformations!
GoldBio Competent Cells Consistently Exhibit Higher Transformation Efficiencies
DH10B chemically competent E. coli cells and DH10B Electrocompetent E. coli cells exhibit higher transformation efficiency than competitors. Each transformation with DH10B chemically competent E. coli cells was performed using 1 ml of final volume including recovery media, plating 50 μl after a 10 fold-dilution (left). For electrocompetent cell comparison, DH10B Electrocompetent E. coli cells were electroporated using a 1 ml of final volume including recovery media, plating 50 μl after 100-fold dilution (right).
BROWSE OUR TRANSFORMATION AND COMPETENT CELL RESOURCES
Your time in the lab is valuable! In this section you will find GoldBio's transformation tools designed to help support and simplify your competent cell transformations. You can access specific chemical transformation or electroporation protocols for each of our competent cell lines, antibiotic information, colony screening protocols, instructional blog articles, detailed guides containing competent cells characteristics and downstream applications, FAQs, electroporation troubleshooting tips and video protocols.
Electroporation and Electrocompetent Cells FAQs:
Electroporation is a technique commonly used in transformation assays to introduce DNA into an electrocompetent cell. During electroporation a transient current or electrical pulse is applied to cells that have been suspended in a solution. The current momentarily increases the permeability of the cell's membrane, creating holes (a pathway) that allow DNA (plasmids) to pass through and enter the cell. Generally, electroporation can be more effective than chemical transformation.
Electrocompetent cells have a higher transformation efficiency than chemically competent cells. The use of electrocompetent cells facilitate the transformation of large plasmids, including BACs (Bacterial Artificial Chromosomes), that might otherwise be difficult to transform using chemical transformation.
Arcing during electroporation can be avoided by making sure there are no air bubbles in the cell/DNA solution prior to electroporation. Also, desalt your DNA since the presence of conductive ions in the solution will cause arcing and electroporation failure. In addition, ensure that your equipment, including the cuvette is properly cleaned and in good condition.